Is Bhubaneswar really developing

Post here all news items and burning topics on Orissa for review by our members.

Is BBSR really developing compare top other cities of India?

yes
46%
No
54%

Total votes: 13

tukun
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by tukun »

I will definitely ask every oriyas Is Bhubaneswar really developing?.Before posting any scrap u should take account of the areas which makes the city developing..Areas like-education,Employment Opportunity for educated and non-educated,Comparison with other cities of india(like bangalore,hyderabad,chandigard,nagpur,ahmedabad) not of orissa(Cuttuck,Berhampur,Rourkela),Industrialization,transportation,how secure to live,Cost of living,Cleanlyness,beautyof city,Infrastructure,GDP growth...

thanks to all
hope u support
Proud to be an oriya.Never forget ur identity..

Sponsor

Sponsor

Deep
Seeker
Seeker

No Idea

Post by Deep »

i dont think there is any improvement except the cost of living...

sat123
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by sat123 »

It developed to some extent but much far from top cities like Bangalore....and some area like CS Pur XIMB Sq. etc are much developed than other parts i think....

murali
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

No

Post by murali »

No

harabilash
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by harabilash »

hi everybody.. being a nonresident ,i happen to visit bhubaneswar only once in a year.from what i saw on my last few visits the developement is definitely there.here are a few areas...
1) infrastucture-- couldnt believe my eyes when i saw the sretch of road btween governer's house and infocity.can definitely give a run for their money to any big cities.few more fly overs are underway.

2) consumer market-- with advent of chains like big bazzar(two of them),reliance fresh and a few other stand alone outlets like wills lifestyle,pantaloon retail and host of other clothing and lifestyle brands, its definitely improving.things are poised for better.

3) banking sector--every bank worth its name has a presence.from as common as SBI to as rare as SYRIAN CATHOLIC BANK.(at janpath)

4)air connectivity-- it has improved a lot .now we can have same day domestic connection from anywhere in india.its bound to improve once companies like posco,reliance steel,jindals and vedanta open shop.improved connectivity wil hopefully pump in(or rather force) a host of other developments

my observation has been done comparing bhubaneswar to not any other city but its old self.

geetika
Toddler
Toddler

Post by geetika »

YES.. IT is Developing..

freeman
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Re: Is Bhubaneswar really developing

Post by freeman »

Bhubanewsar is the 2nd planned city after chandigarh. Small it may be but that dosen't lessens its charms. after all Small is Beautiful. I have lived for quite a long time in BBSR and seens how it has changed from a sleepy capital to a vibrating and dynamic place. yes the development is slow. Since the last few years the pace has increased.

Excellent roads lined by green trees
City full of parks
Lots of vocational colleges with quality education
Cosmoplitan atmosphere
planned townships
Increasing number of IT companies

All this speaks of only one thing............ DEVELOPMENT

Toshali
Toddler
Toddler

Re:

Post by Toshali »

sat123 wrote: some area like CS Pur XIMB Sq. etc are much developed than other parts i think....
You gotta be kidding me! What exactly is there that makes you think that it's better developed than other parts of BBSR.

mailsaubhagya
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by mailsaubhagya »

I believe BBSR has tremendous capability, resource, and energy to grow like other cities in India. Following are the pros to BBSR
1. Unused land around city, city can grow to all directions
2. Not prone to any natural calamity, terrorism, violence.
3. No problem of drinking water as they have couple of rivers around the city
4. Well planned architecture of the city.
5. Simple and caring human mass

Facts not good> Weather: Extreme weather in summer is a biggest disadvantage of the city, High in humidity and temperature is a factor to consider. But city like Chennai even worse climate in compare to BBSR are far ahead than us, so this might not be an issue.
Need to improve
>Industrialization: We need to focus not only to develop IT industry, but also retail, manufacturing, banking, tourism, port and other sectors. We have to invite industry leaders to have them started their business in Orissa and give them what ever required to setup the business, this will help the state government to raise the economy of the state in long term
> Airport: This is a prime factor towards development of the city, Airport do not have more than one run way, do not have CAT1/ CAT2/CAT3 technology in place, do not have good logistic system, and many more. Infact we should have a plan to upgrade it to international airport, as the city need this eventually.
> Road: Looking at the population and industry growth in another 5 years the road will crowded enough to handle the traffic in peak hours. Public transport is not at all good to handle the on demand traffic. Roads should be much wider and planned to handle the bottle neck of coming future. You can compare the road of greater Noida to old Noida. We may need to add more fly over and diversifications, red lights in all the junctions, developing traffic sense in city dwellers, add common rest rooms, good drainage system.
> Education: we do not have enough quality education institutes in state to supply the near future demand. Example we have only 30 engineering colleges compare to other states where they have in 100s. If, there will be an immediate demand of talents, we will definitely depend upon other states, which is a major con to development.
>Free Education: The quality of education in schools going down day by day. There are no drive to increase the quality of education, where as there are lot of programs to give free education, free asset, free food, free books to schools, which is adding very little to improve the quality of education. I have listened teachers complaining to manage the free resources is an added responsibility time consuming and there are lot of politics involved with that.
>State Government: I do not know about the quality and talent of the beaurocrat work in ministry label and how they work towards the future plans and strategy. I believe we have to make a guru, I mean to follow a well developed city to learn how to plan to achieve good economy.
>Politics: though we have a stable and fair government, still we are lacking or strong, talented motivated leaders. It's easy to say they don't do anything, but it hard to realize there is very little scope to do anything with the budget they have. May be we need to get more loan and proper utilize them to develop the infrastructure and education system.
>Infrastructure: Current Infrastructure is good enough to handle the city need, but will fail if we are looking for growth. We may need to have a long term plan and execution of good road, public transport, we may start thinking metro train right upfront to meet the need of the future, and many more.
>Feminism: We have to go a long way to think political, economic, social, educational equality of the sexes.
>Population Growth: The ratio of population growth in Orissa is still 3.9, which should bring down 2 or less. This always have a diverse effect on development of the state.
>Conclusion: We need to consider all the factors and work on them to develop the city or state faster. The economy will grow, when common standard of living will good.

Ajit
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by Ajit »

If you are a true Oriya by heart and soul, openly appreciate the developnents/acheivements and create the awareness among people of other states/regions. There is no point and no acheivement in shouting what is not there; think what can be done to improve itand publish it; atleast that would make people think in the same lines. Even a small contribution like a suggestion to goverment, or NGO may do wonders. Further, if you have free time and free mind go tru the below sections from wikipedia. It would create more awareness for you before you can shout in this forum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orissa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhubaneshwar

Industrial growth
Infrastructure development
Education

Also some questions to keep your mind busy:

1) Check the snap of the road in wikipedia and keep serching/compairing a similar standrad anywhere in India http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Lowerpmg.jpg
2) Compare other cities (metros) of India with BBSR for the below basic facilities which are required to survive in any city

. Electricity
. Water
. Cost of Living

Finally, take a note of the fact that high rises, Shpping malls etc do not fulfill ur basic neccasity. Cities like Mumbai is forced to have only high-rises bcos there is hardly any place left to grow.

Adding some ancient stuff as part of the past glory of Orissa..

"The Kharavelan Jain kingdom had a formidable maritime empire with trading routes linking it to Sri Lanka, Burma, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo, Bali, Sumatra and Java. Colonists from Kalinga settled in Sri Lanka, Burma, and the Indonesia archipelago. Even today Indians are referred to as Keling in Malaysia because of this. Many Sri Lankan kings, both Sinhalese and Tamil, claimed decent from Kalinga dynasties."

more... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalinga_(India)

stellar
Kiddie
Kiddie

Post by stellar »

Hi,
I think Bhubaneshwar is really a developing city. We can see good school and colleges there. We can see well educated people there.

Stella

antacid
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by antacid »

Yes, Bhubaneswar is of late started its path towards development. But compared to similarly planned city of Chandigarh, the development is lagging far behind. There is a need to plan for everything keeping in mind provision for another 100/150 years. !!!!
ANTACID- YoUr sOlUtIoN tO eVerY pRoBleM

satyajeet
Little Oriya
Little Oriya

Post by satyajeet »

i read some of the replies and do certainly beleive that yes bhubaneswar is developoing. yes there are lacunas in few areas yet we can say we r developing fast.
if u take high school education lots of good high schools r coming up in the city, same is the case with higher education quality though is a matter that needs to be looked into. But then that will improve in due course of time. As fas as infrastructure is considered Bhubaneswar is fast developing.... with good roads and good connectivity all around. Electricity is much better than few of the metros. yes job creation is a matter of concern. quality of life in Bhubaneswar is much better than other cities at least it is a peaceful city as of now. God bless Bhubaneswar and Orissa.